Thursday 3 March 2011

Self-Compassion Whodathunk it?

This is a fascinating article about self compassion and weight loss.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/28/go-easy-on-yourself-a-new-wave-of-research-urges/

I have to say-- I find it very easy to be compassionate towards other people-- sometimes to a fault, but towards myself, I only see negatives: you don't exercise enough, get enough done, write enough, work too much, etc. I always feel that I'm letting myself (and usually others) down. However, when someone else lets me down, has a bad day, snaps at me, I usually think--They are having a tough time, I won't take this personally. They need a bit of extra support, I'll make sure I try to lighten their load, etc .

Even though, as the husband usually tells me after I recount the event, a lot of times people did deserve me saying, "Um, yeah, can you take your foul attitude away from me? Thanks. I'm just trying to breathe here." I think, as the article suggests, I need to apply this trait to myself as well. It might sound simple, but it's really not. I don't ask for help often-- I don't like needing someone else to help me. This always leads to working late hours and then not making the time to do what I want to (I'm too tired, it's too late, I need to decompress-- the list of excuses goes on and on.)

So, I've made a rather radical conclusion-- I'm going to give up on giving up on myself. Ok, so this week has been decent so far-- not great, not terrible. Work has been manic causing me to not have enough time during the work week to squeeze in exercise, I'm not going to feel too terrible-- I'll get in a swim and possibly a run this weekend. Rather than feel bad about what I can't do, I'm going to feel good about what I can do. Focus on my new and healthier diet and try to slip in some sneaky exercise (long walks, taking the stairs, etc). Make a proactive plan for next week-- how can I lighten my workload so that I can get more exercise in? I'm going to be on this TTD Liberation experience for a while, I might as well enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment