Thursday 17 March 2011

When Holidays Attack . . .

A very Happy St Paddy's Day!

Second, here's a little explanation about where I've been and what I've been up to . . .

So, I've started a blog all about dieting a week or so before I go on holiday. Yes, not my most brilliant plan. I got back from a much needed long weekend with my husband on Tuesday and am astonished by how poorly I've stuck to my resolve. Too much food, wine and shopping was had . . . but then, that's kind of what holidays are for. So, rather than beat myself up about it too much I've decided that this week is my 'back to reality' week. Where I return to my healthier resolutions and endeavour to be firmly back on track by Monday.

No, I'm not procrastinating (ok, maybe I am) but I'm firmly aware that I need to be back on track. However, even with the dieting not going to plan a few other things have.

First, I read a really interesting YA sequel to Dracula called Bloodline. Much like Dracula, Bloodline is a novel told in letters and diary entries. It's meant to be the next generation on from where the story ended-- so it takes place in World War I Europe (from the trenches to Transylvania). I'm not going to lie, I didn't have high hopes for this novel. The concept really intrigued me, but I'm a bit tired of vampires. I'm ready for something new (maybe dystopias?). However, Bloodline is worth reading. These are bad vampires. They aren't loveable and the heroine is properly feisty, wary and brave. The novel does try to be of its time (circa World War I) but it is also quite contemporary and reads easily. It's definitely worth a read-- especially for anyone who's tired of vampire romances (though, are there people tired of them? surely there must be!). I'm told there is a sequel, Reckoning, wherein one of the vampires tries his hand at redemption . . . Frankly, I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'll let you know when/if I pick up the next book. Currently I am on a no book buying ban which will last until the 14th May. Yes, I'm hilarious like that.

And secondly, my writing if finally back on track. Big woot! I had a really unproductive February and now, its all things go! So, I'm looking forward to next week when I know they'll be more progress on all fronts.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Jenni! I'm loving the blog so far. I just wanted to throw two pence in if you don't mind!

    Don't forget that you said you were going to go easy on yourself. You're allowed to live a little. Willpower is not an infinite resource. And, vacation is a change from routines and habits. It should be relaxing, not stressful. ;)

    And, good luck with the writing. The winter can be hard for staying productive, but I hope that as the days lengthen, you find you're doing even more. (I know I do.)

    Anyway -- Good luck!! Viva La Revolution! Free those Tees!

    ReplyDelete